Wednesday, October 20, 2010

.cookie fiasco.

A little while ago I promised some students I'd bake them cookies for the next day.  They requested that they be nut free (one of them had an allergy) and flour-free (which I said I was unable to accommodate).
That evening I debated between chocolate chip cookies and molasses cookies, but decided on chocolate chip, because everyone loves those, right?
I turned the oven on to preheat while i mixed the dough.  Halfway through, I discovered that I'd run out of vanilla.  I debated over what to do, and decided that almond extract would probably be a suitable substitute.  Right after I added it, I remembered: nut allergy!
I decided I'd end up having make the molasses cookies too, after all.
I went to put the first tray of cookies in the oven and discovered that it was still cold.  My oven doesn't work.  So, I turned on my toaster oven, transferred some of the cookies to the toaster oven tray, and began the slow process of baking cookies in a small space.  It takes a long time to bake cookies when you can only put 9 in at a time.
While those trays were baking, I made the molasses cookies.
In the end, they all turned out pretty well and disaster was averted.  In any case, they were all gone by the end of the next day.