Sunday, April 27, 2008

Do I look lost?

Today was such a beautiful day, I decided to enjoy it by taking a long walk. At church this evening we had a potluck, so the direction I first headed was to Safeway to get some food.
On my way there, a shiny black SUV pulled up beside me and the guy started talking to me. At first I thought he might want directions, but he was actually asking me where I was going, what I was doing, and if I wanted a ride. I told him I was going for a walk and did not want a ride. As I kept walking, he pulled up beside me again and asked me again if I wanted a ride. Again I refused, and then he pulled a u-turn and speedily drove away.
It was a little weird, but I tried to shrug it off as I continued to Safeway. Once there, I decided that cookies would be a good choice for the potluck because they wouldn't melt or wither or spoil in the warmth of the sun. I stood in the cookie aisle scanning my options, and a Safeway worker asked me if I needed any assistance. I politely declined his offer, grabbed some cookies, and headed to the drink aisle because I wanted an Arizona green tea with ginseng and honey. As I was walking down the aisle (not even standing still looking) andother worker asked me if I needed any help finding anything. I smiled and said I was fine, grabbed my iced tea, and returned down the aisle to check out. He told me to have a nice day and that he'd see me again soon. (Not likely buddy)
So at this point I wondered if people were just feeling friendly from the sunny weather, or if I had something on my person that indicated that I am lost and/or confused. Nonetheless, I continued on my journey and walked down the hill towards the river.
On the bridge there was a lovely bench overlooking the river, and so I sat and enjoyed the sunshine and people watching. Got a couple shots of some brothers having a snowball fight. Oh the irony of wearing t-shirts and having snowball fights at the same time. Anyways, while I was sitting there sipping my iced tea a shiny black truck drove by and a bunch of guys pretending to be dogs stuck their upper bodies out of the windows and thankfully I did not catch what they said.
Unfortunately my stay in the park was shortened because I had forgotten to take into account the fact that tea makes me pee.  So I continued my journey to the church, where I knew I could use the facilities.  Since I was very early, I decided I would visit the house I'm hoping to move into in the fall to see if I could meet the landlady.  
As I walked the few blocks over, a shiny black car pulled over and the two guys inside asked me where I was going, what I was doing, and if I wanted a ride.  I responded that I was going for a walk, and no I did not want a ride anywhere.  They pulled a u-turn and peeled off.  
I continued to the house, and the landlady wasn't there, so I nipped over a block to see if Steve was home and to see if he thought I looked lost or if there was something odd looking about me today, but he was as bewildered as I.

Anyways, on a completely unrelated note, I graduated yesterday!  I'll post some pictures soon on my other blog.  I'm all packed up and mostly moved, and it's a bit of a strange feeling, but I've decided to enjoy this time of liminality.  I fly back on Ontario on Tuesday, and it's a bit weird to think my time here is over (for now) but I didn't really say goodbye to anyone because, 1. I don't like goodbyes, and 2. I'm coming back in a few months.

3 comments:

Tina said...

you graduated already? congratulation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! meghan, i miss you. i hope we gonna talk soon :-) big hug. love you.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Meg. I am proud of you for now following random guys around. I wish that you could have taught me that early and saved me from near death.

oh my everything!!! said...

half meg! hans! we should meet up somewhere when you are back in ontario :) maybe buffalo? i know of a great hostel we could stay at!!

congrats on graduating...i am proud of you (sounds cheesy--but it's oh so true)