Sunday, December 07, 2008

.Handel's Messiah.

Last night I got to experience a little slice of heaven.

I love Handel's Messiah.
Not only is it a beautiful piece of music, but it also expresses our longing for, waiting for, expectation of, and fulfillment of Christ. It shows the whole story of the anticipation of his coming, his arrival and life, his death and resurrection, and the anticipation of his return. It is a glorious work, and I believe it was divinely inspired. (It was written in 3.5 weeks; I'm not sure there could be another explanation)

My soul was in need of refreshment. I've been attacked lately, and I am weary. (When I say attacked, I do mean literally.)

Today it has snowed (and continues to snow) and as much as I don't like snow due to the cold and slipperiness, I appreciate the way the world looks when it is covered in a blanket of white. It is strikingly beautiful, and always reminds me of God's grace. I love that he will wash us white, whiter than snow. Days like these remind me to be thankful because the picture of grace is so clear.
I always end up taking that metaphor too far, and as we trample on the snow and it turns to slush and becomes brown and dirty, I think of how often we take God's grace for granted or forget to continually ask for his forgiveness in our lives. One blanket of snow won't cover everything...Good thing God's grace doesn't end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. I can relate to the experience of Handel's Messiah and to the snow metaphor. Thanks for sharing.