Tuesday, May 09, 2006

cleaners

On of our cleaners, Jimmy (from Malaysia) cracks me up...he's so funny (I think at least) but it's just really natural the way it comes out. I don't know if I can explain most of the things, because it's the way he reacts to things around the hostel (like the fact that ALL of our brooms are broken, and his attempt to sweep the floor). But one thing I can share happened at Zolder on Sunday night. He, of course, had his camera out taking pictures. One of the photos he took was of Ben and me, and Ben was playing with his beard, which provoked a commentary on the sad state of his own facial hair.
"I cannot grow a beard, " he sighed.
"Neither can she," Ben pointed out, referring to me.
"But she's a girl! I have five hairs. One, two, three, four five." (He pointed) "I've been waiting for years for number six, but he just won't come out!"

Ok, well, I think he's funny at least. Maybe you had to be there, or maybe it's amusing for you too.

Anyhow...the cleaners right now...praise God! They are connecting so well as a team! It's so much fun to work with them, and they do a great job. But even more importantly, they are seeking God. Shane especially...he has been reading books we've given him (based on questions he's asked in cleaner time) and today Tina gave him a couple of worship songs that he liked so he can learn to play them...please keep him in prayer!
Barry...there's a big language barrier. We all want to talk to him, and he wants to talk to us, but he hardly speaks any English and his French is difficult to understand. But he reads along intently during cleaner time, so pray that he allows the words of truth to sink into his mind and heart, that he allows God to speak to him and touch his life.
And Jimmy...he has questions, but mostly observes us. He pays close attention in cleaner time and feels free to ask us anything. Pray that God puts deep questions on his heart that he has to wrestle with until he comes to know the truth. Pray that God reveals Himself to him, so that Jimmy cannot escape His extravagat love.

No comments: