Monday, November 03, 2008

.frustrations.

I had a few frustrating moments today. A conversation with someone who is very stubborn who holds views very opposite to mine. Views that I find scary, to be honest.
As a Christian, I truly do believe that issues such as poverty, disease, human trafficking, war, health-care, nuclear weapons, and starvation are just as important as issues such as abortion. And I believe that focusing on ways to actually help people is incredibly beneficial, and fits with James 1:27. I believe that it's who God has called us to be.
I feel like today I was attacked for believing these things, and that made me sad. I was told that I am naively guiding others into my erroring ways. I am mostly sad that this person felt more than comfortable making such a judgment on myself and others, which clearly violates God's call to love one another. I don't really know what else to say to this person, but I refuse to compromise my beliefs just because of one person's narrow-minded opinion.
At another point today in conversation with someone else I felt belittled, and while I stood up for myself and defended myself, I wonder how I could prevent this from happening again without changing who I am. I haven't really come to any conclusions other than I am not going to change for someone else.

1 comment:

Carina said...

1 Corinthians 2 speaks about this. I don't think it's possible to avoid it, it's just a part of the world we live in, we just need to understand why it happens I guess and react in the way God wants us to react - by loving even our enemies.