Wednesday, November 02, 2005

postmodernism

So I think I'm discovering more and more flaws in modern thinking (especially as applied to Christianity) and I'm embracing postmodern thinking more...not that I think it's perfect either. Because I don't. But I like that we're going back to the Bible and beginning to rethink traditions and realize that while they are not necessarily wrong or contradictory to God's word, they don't really fit anymore. For instance: "the Sinner's prayer." I hate that phrase. But modern Christianity makes it into a formula or a checklist...I do this and this and this and poof, I'm saved! or I pray a prayer so I have my ticket into heaven. The Bible doesn't mention anywhere about praying a prayer and *poof* being saved. It's all about a relationship...yes, choosing to believe in Jesus, that he is who he says he is. And building a relationship with God through Jesus with the help of the Holy Spirit. It's such an ongoing thing, a process, and I like that postmodern thinking has brought us back to what the Bible says in this regard.
Today in class we were talking about apologetics regarding the Word of God. I think everyone's expectations were that it would be a modern sort of discussion...here are the facts that prove the Bible is true, blah blah blah. Personally, I'm glad it wasn't that...I like the fact that personal testimony about the Bible is a better way to "prove" the Bible is true in postmodern culture, even though there is still a need to give facts to some people. I think there's no way we can ever "prove"God or Jesus or the Bible or whatever...people will always find some argument. But they can't argue with personal experience...well, they can, but then they're just calling you a liar. and people seem to be more open to feelings and experiences than facts. from what I've observed at least.

complete side note from postmodernism: I rode Rala on my bike yesterday, which was my first experience with riding someone on the back before. there were no disasters, no crashes, nothing like that. But I can say with confidence that I defined the term "zig zag" and if there was a video dictionary, I would be that term cycling Rala. But I did improve when I got going faster. and when I wasn't laughing. In this case, laughter is a dangerous activity.

2 comments:

justmeghs said...

here's what my dad said (but he didn't comment. silly daddy...): We do have to ask Jesus to forgive our sins and to accept Him as our Saviour but you are correct that is just the first step. You can't ride a bike without getting on it but you can't ride without moving either. I think Christianity is like that.

oh my everything!!! said...

awesome what your dad said.

and

i love the analogy of 'video dictionary'...we definitely fit that...what word would i be the picture of on the back of your bike? heehee