Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Handel's Messiah

so tonight Ryan and I went to see Handel's Messiah at the Concertgebouw.
Before leaving I checked the website and calledonly to discover that the show was sold out.
We decided to go anyways, praying for a miracle.
After hopping off our tram one stop too late, we ran to the concertgebouw (and surprisingly did not get lost!) and got in line for tickets...
there were some women there with two extra tickets they were trying to sell because their friends couldn't make it. But they wanted full price for them (27 something euros). We waited in line to see if there were any 7 euro 50 tickets left. There were two together...behind a pillar. So I asked if there were any separate not behind pillars, which there were.
Ryan took the balcony seat and I took the ground level seat for the first half of the concert. I was sort of behind a pillar, but it didn't restrict my view too much and I greatly enjoyed the first half. Ryan was seated in the front row of the balcony dead centre...the "Queen's seat" as he called it. Really, it was certainly one of the best seats in the house.
So I got to be in the great seat or the second half, which included the Hallelujah chorus. And, I admit, it brought me to tears...man, the whole thing is so powerful! (and they did the whole thing...not just parts of it! three hours long)
I am so excited that God worked a miracle for us to be able to go!

No comments: