Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I'm still here

I know, I haven't blogged in a while (relative to myself of course), but it's true that I've been really busy! I was talking to Dave last night about the course I'm currently taking (9-4 every day then hours of reading at night. not much time to blog, sorry) and he wants me to post all about it so he can learn what I'm learning. Well, that's not going to happen, but I'll share highlights now and then I'm sure.
It's been so good to be taking this class, and I love how centred it is around God. We start off each day with a devotion, combining art and scripture and our own experiences. Really powerful. And we use Scripture all throughout the class, not just a separate thing at the beginning. Today in the middle of class we burst out into song singing, "We fall down, we lay our crowns at the feet of Jesus. The greatness of his mercy and love, at the feet of Jesus. We cry holy, holy, holy, we cry holy, holy, holy, we cry holy, holy, holy is the Lamb!" I love it. How many other grad classes would do that? So along with knowing God more we're learning a lot about ourselves. Which is a lot to digest and I wish there was more time, haha. But it is really good and I am so convinced that this is where I'm supposed to be.
Ok, so one passage from today (actually Dave, this kind of adds on to our conversation about spiritual beings with human experiences vs human beings with spiritual experiences) is 2 Cor. 5:1-10. We talked about a number of different passages actually, and how they answer the Psalm 8:4 question of "what is man that You are mindful of him?"
So here it is:
Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. Now it is God who has made us for this very purpose and has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.
Tehrefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. We live by faith, not by sight. We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

Side story. I was waiting this afternoon at my bus stop (probably there will be a rant in the near future about public transportation in Calgary) along with a fairly large crowd of people. And a car zooms around the corner up on the sidewalk going at least 40 km/hr and people are jumping out of the way (I personally jumped onto the street after briefly noting there were no cars coming) and it was ramming into buildings and a few people. There were chunks of marble from the buildings on the ground. Large chunks. It was insane. I talked with a man who had been hit in the left hip because he couldn't get out of the way fast enough and he landed on his right arm. One of his shoes was missing (I never could find it) but other than a little bleeding and pain and being shaken up he seemed pretty ok. Some other people looked like they weren't hit at all, but were going into hysterics because of shock and stuff. It was cool how everyone instantly checked to see if others were ok. I asked if anyone had checked to see if the driver was ok, but there seemed to be a crowd around the car so none of the people around me knew. We guessed that he'd had a heart attack or something, but when I went by on the bus he looked completely fine as he talked to the police. I guess I'll have to watch the news tonight to see what they say. Maybe he was drunk or something, I don't know. So that was the unwanted adventure of the day!
Now I've gotta keep reading...

1 comment:

Dave Stoffer said...

an enjoyable entry yet again ms. meghan. I have enjoyed so far what I have learned from your learning, hopefully we can keep it up.

Try not to get hit by any cars during grad school. I heard it doesn't help the GPA.

Blog on!