Friday, February 23, 2007

ski trip

A little late...but I thought I'd share a bit about my ski trip.
The last time I went skiing was in gr 9 or 10 with BethL...basically, it was an interesting day because she knows how to ski, and I spent the majority of my time on my butt in the snow. But I was determined to try again, and have a good time.
Jen invited me to go skiing with her on Monday, and since I could borrow her mom's skiis and didn't have to rent them, I figured why on earth not? So I invited Hannah, and she invited her friend Anita and these guys from Edmonton came as well, and we went up to Lake Louise.
For the morning Jen and I skiied (how on earth do you spell that past tense?) together and basically she laughed at me the whole time, which was fine, because I like to laugh at myself as well. My first few runs were mishap free, but then...I had one amazing wipe out. Jen would be skiing parallel, which traditionally is much faster than snowplow, so she would occasionally slow down and wait for me to catch up. However, I can go very quickly while doing my snowplow, and one such time she slowed unnecessarily. I was dodging ski school students and was right behind her when she began to slow down to look back for me, so I had no choice but to swoop past her in order not to crash, and in so doing I gained even more speed. Ahead of me was either a person or a little jump, and I chose the jump, with full knowledge that I was fairly out of control and would undoubtedly CRASH. Let's just say I was flat on my stomach with my skiis every whichway right on the edge of a cliffish type part of the mountain and was laughing so hard I couldn't move. Thankfully I was out of the way, haha. A beautiful flight. Basically at lunch the guys were all upset to have been missing out on the extreme joy of watching me attempt to ski, so after lunch we all went to the other side of the mountain together. They were surprised at how good I actually was because Jen was describing me as so...unique...which I am. But yeah. It was definitely a fun time, except for the fact that we accidentally lost Hannah and Anita at the beginning of the day and didn't see them again til the end. Next time we'll communicate better first...
On Sunday Hannah is going to teach me how to snowboard! So that will be exciting. Yay!

2 comments:

Dave Stoffer said...

watching you fall would have been pretty entertaining. Im said I wasn't there.

Also, i bought some generator lights (the kind the wind on the wheel) for my bike. Dutch time

justmeghs said...

oh, i wish you could have been there too...

oh, nice! i'm sad becaue i have a bell that says "i heart my bike" but no bike...