Thursday, October 26, 2006

is God omniscient?

I think that OT Foundations with Rick Love is my favourite class. He really makes us think and question and go back to the Bible. Constantly. And I love it, but sometimes I wish he'd give us straight answers. Although, I'm learning that there are hardly ever straight answers. So it's a cool journey to be on.
Anyways, the current question I have (which maybe you can help me with) is how do we know that God is omniscient? Like where in the Bible does it indicate that? Because there are a lot of verses about Jesus being limited in his knowledge (I assume because of his humanity but he is also God incarnate) but where does it say God is omniscient? I think this really boils down to your theology on free will...but for now, some verses would be welcome!

1 comment:

Eric said...

Hey, Meghan! A few verses popped to mind as I was reading your post: Psalm 94:7-11... Psalm 139 (this is one of my favorites)... There are also tons of Proverbs to the effect of "Man thinks he knows everything, but God is the only one that really knows" (you won't find that exact quote, but there are plenty of variations on the same theme)... Also, the last five chapters of Job make a pretty convincing (if not explicitly stated) argument that God is the omniscient Creator of the heavens and earth. Any incident of (fulfilled) prophecy would also be a strong argument for omniscience.

So those are a few thoughts to keep you going... I enjoy hearing about your progress in the great white wastelands of western Canada.