Monday, September 26, 2005

Let us go then, you and I...

Well, it's been a few days, hasn't it! What has happened?
The other morning I was working a morning cafe shift with Harold (he's one of the nightmen...I think he's worked here for about 7 years?) and I meant to say "How are you" and said instead, "I love you" and so when he gave me a weird look I was like "oh no! what did I say?" and he translated and we had a good laugh. My dutch is not very good in the mornings shall we say. haha. Last night at Zolder we sang a dutch song. I'm not sure what I was saying but I caught a few words here and there and I could not pronounce the g's while singing. It'll come I suppose.
So anyways, back to morning cafe with Harold. We decided to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving this year, so it'll be a good time I think. We started planning the menu and stuff. Sweet.
Our hostel night outreach went well. We served lasagna (not as good as mom's, but it was tasty) and Freek's traditional dutch cake (I don't remember what it's called, but it's SO good!) and Marco shared his testimony and we had good discussions about "the greatest gift" and the greatest Giver at our tables. I sat with a bunch of students from the states studying abroad in London for a semester and we had some neat conversations.
Also, completely different topic, I won Scrabble against self-pronounced Scrabble champions Freek and Michael! and Shenka came in at a close second (by one point, haha) but the boys were far behind. And the word "eh" got me a lot of point also, and I was very pleased. They didn't think it was an official word, but it was in their dictionary even. woohoo! Mom, when you come visit we'll have to play. And Stephen too. Also, they have Settlers.
For open mic night I did a poetry reading, hahaha! "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" by T.S. Eliot. So good. even if poetry readings are cheesy. That's the point of open mic night. And Tina and I sang a song she taught me, but she forgot the chords, so it was a fun experience...and it sounded better than Melana and Betty (and Tawni) "singing" Killing me Softly. Well, if it didn't sound better I'd be worried...
We visited Nathalie Saturday afternoon (after a morning of analysing jeans for the perfect pair for Christian to buy...he is such a girl!) and Ryan (he's new...from Las Vegas, along with 2 others. it's so good to have them here!) was playing guitar and Tina and I were catching up with Nathalie and Mark and it was just a lovely time in a flat away from our own. (Nathalie and I are going to do Alpha with a home group from Zolder on Wednesday evenings starting next week. Pray that Mark also joins!!!) And on the way back our neighbour was playing piano and singing with his window open so we stood under and listened to applaud when he was done. Unfortunately we were unable to be discreet because a friend came to visit him while we were conspicuously standing there. So we made a not so smooth exit, but it was still an enjoyable experience. Mmm! I love Amsterdam!
Yesterday morning we decided to do our own church, so Tina, Rala and I made tea and brought it onto our roof where we read verses and sang and prayed together. very cool.
Ok! I think that my life has been updated online. Minus all the parts I forgot. haha.

1 comment: