Friday, September 30, 2005

my house is chilly

It's beginning to be an unwelcome pattern...being awakened by phone calls on my day off.
But today was a nice day anyways. I did my chore and relaxed this morning...started reading The Count of Monte Cristo and took a nap. I missed the farewell party for Daniela, but that's ok. I wrote on her card and I'll have a better chance to talk to her before she leaves anyway.
This afternoon Rala and I were supposed to have a "date" like we used to back in college, but we ended up just running a few errands and not getting most of what was on our list, haha. But it was nice, if a little chilly, and she read me the greatest Dutch children's book ever! Well, there were two books. One had no words but the illustrations were excellent. And the other had words (in Dutch) and incredible illustrations to correspond...it was a book about dangerous things you should not do. Hysterical though.
This evening I went to the Van Gogh museum with Nathalie and Mark...quite the adventure getting there, haha. I knew how to get as far as Vondelpark, but not how to get to the museum although it seemed fairly straightforward on the map...Let's just say it took us a lot longer than it should have to get there, but that was in part due to the fact that Mark made his bike chain fall off. It was amusing when we got to the musuem, because the first thing they said to him was "toilets are that way" haha. There was live music (jazz mostly) and that made for and enjoyable experience. There were only a handful of paintings that I really liked, but it was interesting to read about the others and see how his style changed over time.
Right now there is a film discussion in the hostel (they're watching The Matrix and then discussing it...connecting it to Christianity) but I don't feel like simply catching the end of the discussion so here I sit.
Tomorrow we're going bowling! It'll be Daniela's (and possibly others'?) first experience. Such an unexpected thing to be doing over here, haha. Then tomorrow night I'll do my first sleeper shift...followed by a cleaner supervisor shift. Pray that I actually get sleep, haha! It'll be fun though, because Marco is the nightman.
Ok, enough about me. Leave me comments that let me know how you're doing!

No comments: